Vol. VI, Episode 22
How to Make Sauerkraut
Join Will and Deb Reid at Greenfield Village to learn how to make sauerkraut from fresh cabbage!
- Salt (pickling salt is preferred but can use kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoons salt for every 1 lb of cabbage
- A slaw cutter
- A container (a 5 gallon container will hold up to 35 - 40 lbs cabbage)
- Scalded (boiled for sanitation) cheesecloth
- A masher
- A plate and some kind of weight
To prep the cabbage, remove any soiled or damaged leaves.
Make sure your work station and everything is sanitary.
Cabbage will ferment into sauerkraut in about one month's time at a constant temperature of 50 degrees.
Want to Grow Your Own Cabbage?
If you have a green thumb and want to grow your own cabbage, these seeds come highly recommended!Premium Late Flat Dutch Cabbage Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
Want to help support us here at the CWDD?
Please join the CWDD Coffee Grinders on Patreon.
You can also join our CWDD Newsletter here to stay in touch and to get the latest updates!
All Amazon links are affiliate links that help support CWDD.