Vol. VI, Episode 22
How to Make Sauerkraut
Join Will and Deb Reid at Greenfield Village to learn how to make sauerkraut from fresh cabbage!
- Salt (pickling salt is preferred but can use kosher salt)
- 2 teaspoons salt for every 1 lb of cabbage
- A slaw cutter
- A container (a 5 gallon container will hold up to 35 - 40 lbs cabbage)
- Scalded (boiled for sanitation) cheesecloth
- A masher
- A plate and some kind of weight
To prep the cabbage, remove any soiled or damaged leaves.
Make sure your work station and everything is sanitary.
Cabbage will ferment into sauerkraut in about one month's time at a constant temperature of 50 degrees.